Just Economics invites all our local community members to join us in the recognition of International Living Wage Week from Monday November 6th – Friday November 10th! Living Wage Week is a celebration that spotlights our Living Wage Certified Employers and elevates the discussion about living wages on the local, national, and international levels.
This year, Just Economics is excited to offer many ways you can join the celebration:
- As a part of the celebration of Living Wage Week, the National Living Wage Network is excited to present the Holiday Gift Giving Guide – Eat, Drink, and Be Merry. This is a publication that showcases employers across the country that are certified by various members of the National Living Wage Network and encourages you to consider living wage employers when making holiday spending decisions. When the publication goes live on Monday, the link will be hosted right here.
- On Monday, November 6th Just Economics is hosting an Employer Networking Event at New Belgium Brewery from 6pm to 7:30pm. I will have a brief slideshow presentation that will introduce the National Living Wage Network Holiday Gift Giving Guide, as well as discuss Living Wage For US, and the ongoing partnership between Just Economics and this national certification organization. We will have a very special guest in attendance – Michelle Murray, the CEO of Living Wage for US! She will be available to answer questions about her organization and discuss her recent participation in the United Nations General Assembly discussions about living wages. Please, if you are available and interested, RSVP here so that we can have a rough headcount of attendees.
- For the second straight year, we are helping our living wage certified employers share their pride through brightly colored green and blue signs announcing International Living Wage Week! Please keep your eyes open for these posters in windows, as they will help consumers identify companies and organizations that are participating in our program. These posters also have a QR code that will lead consumers to this blog post.
- Speaking of consumers… we are running a consumer campaign to drive customers and clients to our living wage certified employers. At the Just Economics office, we have stash of packets that will help socially conscious community members to help us celebrate. Each packet has a flyer about the importance of living wages, a list of all the Living Wage Certified employers in Buncombe County, a sticker that advocates for spending your dollars with certified businesses, and a stack of ten business cards that state “I am supporting your business today in part because of your commitment to living wages.” The hope is that you take these cards to the businesses in our directory, and hand them out along with your payment for goods or services to let the business owners know that certification matters to our community!
- Additionally, we will be conducting an online drawing for our fundraising raffle on Thursday, November 9th at 3pm. This raffle is a fundraiser for our partner organization, the Transylvania County Living Wage Coalition. The raffle includes a number of prizes all donated by Transylvania County Living Wage Certified Employers! To purchase raffle tickets, click here.
- We have also launched a new page on our website – Living Wage Weekend in Transylvania County! This is a great resource for locals and tourists alike who are curious about how to spend discretionary money with socially and economically conscious employers in the greater Brevard area.
Please, take a moment to look at our on-line directory of Just Economics Living Wage Certified Employers and find a few that you can visit this week – for lunch, for coffee, for a tasty beverage, for some holiday shopping.
Check our website, our Facebook, and our Instagram to stay up on all the developments in the local living wage movement and our fight for a more just and fair local economy for all. If you have any questions about International Living Wage Week, Living Wage Certification, or Just Economics, please contact us directly at 828-505-7466 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org