Support Paid Family Leave
If we want to build back better, paid leave has to be included and passed in the Build Back Better economic recovery plan. Paid leave is fundamental to an economy grounded in racial and gender equity. This is a profound moment to make history and leave a legacy that will help all working families’ lives. We can and we must still pass paid leave in Build Back Better.
- Post on social media, write a Letter to the Editor and sharing info and action alerts with your network!
- Call or email NC legislators who have pledged support for BBB and paid leave with a thank you and ask to maintain support for paid leave and the BBB package.
- Ask people to call or email Senators Tillis and Burr to ask them to support an inclusive paid family leave policy that covers a variety of caregiving needs including for the birth or adoption of a child or to care for a seriously ill family member.
12 Years is Too Long – Raise the Minimum Wage!
July 24th, 2021 marked 12 years since the Federal Minimum Wage increased to $7.25/ hour. This is the longest stretch of time in the history of the Federal Minimum Wage where the wage has remained unchanged. According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition’s annual “Out of Reach” report, people working 40 hours a week and making minimum wage cannot afford rent anywhere in the United States.
Call on Senators Tillis and Burr to support a raise in the minimum wage because we need $15 now! https://actionnetwork.org/letters/raise-the-wage-12-years-is-long-enough
The Pro Act
The PRO Act is a federal policy aimed at strengthening workers’ rights and removing barriers to join together in a union.
The Bill would do the following:
- Create enforceable and important penalties for companies the violate workers’ rights including civil penalties on employers for violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Expand workers collective bargaining rights and strike rights, closing loopholes like misclassification, and giving workers the power to override “right to work” laws by agreeing on a fair share clause.
- Strengthen access to fair elections and first contracts– prohibiting employers from holding mandatory anti-union meetings and putting mechanisms like federal arbitrators in place to secure a first contract within a year.
The PRO Act passed the House in early March and the next front is the US Senate. You can learn more about the PRO Act here: Toolkit (google.com)
You can support the PRO Act by sharing information in your community and social media, writing a letter to the editor, and/or contacting your US Senators.
Here’s the link to make a call to your US Senators: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/pro-act/
And here’s the link to send a letter to your US Senators: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/pro-act/
Raise the Wage Act
The Raise the Wage Act is a federal policy that would raise the minimum wage from its current rate of $7.25 to $15/hr by 2025 and phase out the sub-minimum wage for tipped workers, teens, and people with disabilities.
You can learn more about this policy from the Economic Policy Institute Fact Sheet here: https://www.epi.org/publication/why-america-needs-a-15-minimum-wage/
You can take action by adding your name here or by contacting your federal representatives in the House and Senate: